The requirements to get an organization listed on GuideStar differ depending on whether its Employer Identification Number (EIN) is included under the group exemption of a central denomination.
A group exemption is the IRS’s recognition of an umbrella (central) organization and its affiliated organizations as tax exempt. A group exemption letter has the same effect as an individual exemption letter except that it applies to more than one organization.
An organization under a group exemption typically has an EIN separate from that of the central organization. If your organization has its own EIN, that does not necessarily preclude it from being covered under a group exemption. Inclusion in a group exemption will not affect the ability of your organization to be listed separately or to receive donations directly.
If your organization is associated with a central organization, please make sure whether a group exemption applies. Any profile created for an organization not formally determined or under a group exemption will be temporary due to policy changes taking effect on January 2020. Inclusion in a group exemption will ensure that your GuideStar listing will remain onsite.
You may find the information in our How to Get Listed FAQs article helpful.
If your house of worship or religious organization is not under a group exemption, please see How to Get Your Independent House of Worship/Religious Organization Listed on GuideStar. If under a group exemption, the applicable requirements are below.
If your house of worship or religious organization is included under the group exemption of a national denomination, (i.e. Catholic, Presbyterian, Episcopal, etc), please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. A copy of a letter, on letterhead, from the central organization including their EIN and group exemption number, stating that your organization is included in their group exemption. The letter must fit the following specifications:
- Includes the name, EIN, and address of your organization
- Signed by an authorized representative of the central office, including the signers printed name and title
- Dated no older than six months at the time of submission to GuideStar.
- In non-editable PDF format. Word documents are not acceptable. Links to web documents are not acceptable.
2. A copy of a federal IRS-issued document with the name and EIN of your specific organization* printed on it. IRS EIN issuance letter, IRS EIN verification, or an IRS filing notice are all acceptable documents. Self-certifying documents will not be accepted.
- An EIN verification letter can be requested from the IRS if needed. Please see the instructions detailed in the last bullet, here.
*Please note- all organizations will need to have their own EIN to be listed separately from an associated organization. We are unable to create a GuideStar listing for your organization if it does not have its own EIN.
You must be a registered GuideStar user to request having your organization listed on GuideStar. Please see the Create a GuideStar Account help article before sending your request.
You may email all requested information to us at email@example.com. Once received, we will review the documents and follow up as quickly as possible. You will be notified of your application's status after review. We may request further documentation.
If approved, GuideStar imports new nonprofit organizations each Monday morning. If you receive an approval notification, please visit www.guidestar.org after 12:00 EST the following Monday to view your organization's listing.