To claim your Nonprofit Profile, you must first create a personal account on GuideStar. We highly recommend you create your account using an email address associated with your organization, as this may grant you immediate access to your profile once you submit your request to claim.
Once you have claimed your nonprofit profile and maintain that profile on an ongoing basis you will have unlimited access to your organization's GuideStar profile page.
Submit a Request to Claim Your Profile
- Sign in to guidestar.org.
- Click Update Nonprofit Profile at the top of the home page.
- Click the yellow Get Started Now button.
4. Search for your organization by name, Employer Identification Number (EIN), or
headquarters. Please note, your EIN must be in the following format: 12-3456789.
5. Fill out a brief form. Please include all applicable information, as this will help us
verify that you're a legitimate representative of your organization. Note: All fields
with an asterisk must be completed to submit request.
6. Once you click submit, your information will be sent to our support team, who will
review your request within 2-3 business days.
Upload Additional Documentation
If your organization does not have a website or you do not have an email address associated with your organization, we will need additional documentation in order to approve your request.
- Start by clicking Upload Documents Now.
- Note: If you do not have the documents available, you can click on Email me a Request. We will send you an email with a link to upload your documents when you're ready.
- Click Add A Document to upload either an IRS EIN Issuance Letter or an IRS Issued Letter of Affirmation.
- Click Submit Request to send your documents to our support staff. We will review your request as quickly as possible and in the order it is received. Watch your email. When approved, we'll send you a link to get started within 3 business days.
What's an IRS EIN Issuance Letter? A confirmation letter that was sent to your organization after being assigned an Employer Identification Number (EIN) with the IRS.
What's an IRS Issued Letter of Affirmation? A letter your organization request from the IRS to confirm an organization's tax-exempt status or to reflect a change in its name or address. Click here for more information.
Please note, no other documents, including a Letter of Determination (A letter issued by the IRS when an organization is granted tax exempt status), will meet this requirement.
What if I don't have either of these documents?
If you do not have an EIN Issuance Letter, please contact the Business and Specialty Tax Line and EIN Assignment Department of the IRS at (800) 829-4933 (toll-free number).The IRS call center is open 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Local Time. If your organization is under a group exemption, please use this contact number as well.
If you do not have a Letter of Affirmation, please contact the Nonprofit Division of the IRS at (877) 829-5500 (toll-free number). The IRS call center is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET.
Once you are approved, you will receive and email confirming you now have access to your organization's profile. Sign out of GuideStar and sign back in to reset your permissions.