Beginning on January 1, 2020, Candid requires a letter of determination or group exemption letter to list and create profiles for nonprofits that are not in the IRS Business Master File, the IRS’s definitive record of tax-exempt organizations. Learn more about this decision.
We understand that not all organizations are required by the IRS to have this documentation. At this time, however, this is the only documentation GuideStar will accept.
Please be advised that even if you obtain a letter of determination from the IRS so that your organization can be listed on GuideStar, there is no guarantee that your organization will appear on our partner sites (e.g., Amazonsmile, Facebook, YourCause, Network for Good).
Only the following documents will be accepted to verify a nonprofit’s tax-exempt status for listing in the GuideStar database:
● IRS letter of determination. Visit “Applying for Tax-Exempt Status” on the IRS website for instructions on obtaining a letter of determination.
● Certification that your organization is exempt under a group exemption. You will need to provide two (2) documents:
- A copy of an IRS-issued document with the name and EIN of your organization pre-printed on it. Federal IRS EIN Issuance or EIN Verification letters are both acceptable documents. Self-certifying documents will not be accepted.
2. A copy of the letter from the parent organization verifying your organization's inclusion as a subordinate in good standing under its 501(c)(3) group exemption with the IRS. Letter must fit the following specifications:
- Includes the name, address, and EIN of your organization
- Signed by an authorized representative of the parent organization. The signature must include the signer's printed name and title.
- Must be dated no older than six months at the time of submission to Candid.
- Please provide in non-editable PDF format. Word documents are not acceptable. Links to web documents are not acceptable
Email this documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must be a registered GuideStar user to request having your organization listed on GuideStar. Please see our help article to Create a GuideStar Account before sending your request.
You may email all requested information to us at email@example.com. Once we receive your document, we will review it and follow up as quickly as possible. You will be notified of your application's status after review. We may request further documentation.
If approved, GuideStar imports new nonprofit organizations each Monday morning. If you receive an approval notification, please visit www.guidestar.org after noon ET the following Monday to view your organization's listing.