Requirements To List An Organization (Under A Group Exemption) on GuideStar
*Please review the Important Notes before emailing your request.
- All organization’s must have their own individual Employer Identification Number (EIN) to be added onsite separately from an associated parent or national office. GuideStar cannot create a listing for your entity if it does not have its own EIN.
- Having an EIN does not automatically grant 501(c) status to your organization, nor does it preclude you from being included under a group exemption.
- Organization cannot have filed or is not planning to file a Form 1023, Application for Recognition of Federal 501(c) Status with the IRS.
- Organizations may only be listed using the name and address as it appears on the IRS issued federal document.
Please send both of the following documents to email@example.com for review:
1. A copy of a federal IRS-issued document with the name and EIN of your organization printed on it. Federal IRS EIN Issuance or EIN Verification letters are both acceptable documents.
- Self-certifying documents will not be accepted.
2. A copy of the letter from the parent organization verifying your inclusion as a subordinate in good standing under their 501(c) group exemption with the IRS. Letter must fit the following specifications:
- Includes the name, address, and EIN of your organization
- Signed by an authorized representative of the parent organization, including the signers printed name and title
- Must be dated no older than six months at the time of submission to GuideStar.
- Please provide in non-editable PDF format. Word documents are not acceptable. Links to web documents are not acceptable
You must be a registered GuideStar user to request having your organization listed on GuideStar. Please see the Create a GuideStar Account help article before sending your request.
You may email the requested information to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once received, we will review the documents and follow up as quickly as possible. You will be notified of your application's status after review. We may request further documentation.
If approved, GuideStar imports new nonprofit organizations each Monday morning unless stated otherwise. If you receive an approval notification, please visit www.guidestar.org after 12:00 EST the following Monday to view your organization's listing.